We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type. This information is statistical data about users' browsing actions and patterns, does not identify any individual. It is used to inform improvements to the website.
For the same reasons, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. We use this information to track your movements through the Site, to find out how the Site is being used and to assess its usefulness. Personal information about you is not collected during the tracking process.
For more information on cookies please see:
We use session cookies that will hold your data on our site until such time as you leave.
You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the setting on your browser which allows you to refuse the setting of cookies. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to access certain parts of the Site.
We use another three third party services on edinburghfirst.co.uk:
- AddThis.com – these cookies are used to allow you to share our pages with your social networks
- Twitter.com - this cookie allows you to add one of our pages into your twitter feed
We are currently working towards introducing Optanon cookie opt-out software.
By using the Site you consent to the collection/retention and use of your personal information in accordance with this policy.
Information that we collect from you
We collect information about you:
- when you provide us with your personal details (such as your name, contact details, e-mail address etc) by registering with us or submitting an enquiry via the Site;
- when you respond to surveys which we ask you to complete for research purposes; and
- from your usage of the Site and any other information you post on the site, e-mail or otherwise send to us.
Use of your information
We use your information:
- to enable us to supply you with the goods, services and information which you have requested;
- to ensure that content from the Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to analyse the information we collect so that we can administer, support and improve and develop the Site;
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
- to notify you about changes to our service.
We may contact you by post, telephone or fax as well as by e-mail and SMS. If you change your mind about being contacted in the future by any of these means then please let us know.
Storage of your information
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Any payment transactions will be encrypted. Some areas of the Site use third-party software facilities such as WorldPay. Please note that, data storage on WorldPay systems, and the communication between WorldPay and the worldwide banking networks, is regularly audited by the banking authorities to ensure a secure transaction environment. They also ensure that they stay up-to-date with the latest versions of any third-party code used, and continually review their own proprietary code.
Disclosure of your information
Authorised personnel within the University will be able to access the information you provide to us. We may also disclose your information to other third parties who act for us for the purposes set out in the policy or for purposes approved by you.
Unless required or permitted do so by law, we will not otherwise share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent.
We employ security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage.
Please help us keep our records updated by informing us of any changes to your email address and other contact details.
We may amend this policy from time to time. If we make any substantial changes we will notify you by posting a prominent notice on the Site.
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information held by us in our records in return for which we charge a small fee.
The Site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
For more visit The University of Edinburgh Privacy & Cookies policy page..